Sunday, June 12, 2011

Why do you run?

Last night my husband asked me at 5:30pm if I wanted to go run, I haven't run outside since my last race which was a while ago so I was excited and out the door in about three minutes even though it was 100ºF. Luckily, the sun was going down and it was cooling off as I headed back home. As hot as it was I still think it was exactly what I needed. When I run outside I have no other options but listen to music and think, and lately I haven't done enough thinking that didn't involve anatomy and physiology.

So I was running and thinking and sweating and something came to mind.
People ask me a lot of questions but I have one question that I like to ask other people: why do you run? I asked this of a man I met as part of my running club. He runs a lot and has done several marathons but he seemed puzzled by my question. He hesitated for a moment and really thought about the answer and finally he told me, "because I love food and I'm not going to eat any less!" This is where I started my weight loss journey. I wanted to find the fastest way to burn calories in the shortest amount of time so I started running. When I would run I would look at the treadmill readout or the nike+ info and think YAY! I can eat some cookies tonight because I burned 300 calories running, but my outlook has changed. Now I run because I like to run. A lot of the time I don't even count the calories I burned because I plan my day not using those calories and honestly after I run my ass off, I'm not hungry anymore. When I run I feel empowered, and liberated because it is my alone time. I get to leave the house alone and it doesn't cost me any money, I get my daily dose of vitamin D and I have a chance to bond with my dog.
Don't ask Harley if he's a good boy. It makes him uncomfortable and he will kiss you then run away.
The only problem with all of this: these great feelings I get when I run don't happen until I am done. I don't feel empowered when I am lacing up my shoes, I have to get out there and earn it.

As I mentioned, I don't rely on my calorie burn for weight loss. I think this is why I have allowed myself to take time off from running so often. I have told myself, if I can't not comfortably live on this calorie allowance then I need to "practice" a little longer before I try to lose more weight and my calorie budget is lowered again.



What is your little victory today?

 Guitarplayingmommy,

Heather

1 comment:

  1. Cute pics with your dog. I wasn't even exercising the first 10 months that I started changing my eating habits. Now it's been almost 10 months of regularly exercising & I feel like a completely different person. I feel stronger and more fit and I love it!

    ReplyDelete