Saturday, April 9, 2011

Run for the Arts 2 mile race

I am thankful my new antihistamine has me breathing so much better. I felt like I was really behind on my mileage so I opted for the 2 mile race this morning instead of the 15K. My dad and I decided we will be ready for that next year for sure. I am glad that I decided to run the 2 mile race though, I set a new personal record. I completed the 2 miles in 18 minutes, 14 seconds and I kept my pace pretty consistent and I also got my first medal!
I placed 2nd for my age bracket and 48th overall, my dad finished 84th overall and 3rd for his age bracket, so we both got a medal.
(the other lady in the picture works with my dad)



All-in-all I think it was a pretty awesome race. One of the reasons I decided to do 2 miles instead of the longer distance, I want to recover pretty quickly from this race so I can try my first Zumba class on Monday and I am also going to run in a 5K race in two weeks called Miles for Missions. It should all be fun!

When we were getting ready for the race we were told the roads would possibly still have traffic to avoid and we were discouraged from listening to music so I set my nike+ and runkeeper apps and I just listened to the huffing and puffing and the pounding of feet on the road. I love the energy that pass around in a race. The atmosphere is always so awesome. I think something I never would have noticed while listening to music was how many people were thanking the police that were parked and blocing the roads for us. They are so needed to help keep us safe while we run. I thought it was also pretty neat to have the first few people passing me (on the turnaround) that were hollering back to us... "keep going, guys" Those people finished the two miles in less than 15 minutes, which is amazing to me, but they took the energy to tell us slowpokes to keep on trucking. I don't know that I could keep running races (of longer distances) without music, but it was definitely a new experience.

What is your favorite part of racing/running?

What is your little victory today?

 Guitarplayingmommy,

Heather

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Wow that is fantastic that you finished so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You are kicking so much butt! :)

    ReplyDelete