Sunday, January 16, 2011

acceptance


Tonight was church for the first time this year. Each week that I went last year, I "splurged" calories on pink lemonade, but this year I have decided to make a big effort to not drink my calories, especially when the actual calorie content is a mystery. I decided, instead, to bring a diet caffeine-free Dr. Pepper with me from home and just pour it over ice at the service. When I took the first drink I realized it was not Diet, I had accidently purchased a case of caffeine-free regular Dr. Pepper (150 calories per can). I poured half of it, drank and enjoyed it, and tossed the rest in the trash. I will take the remaining 11 sodas to school and leave the box in the employee lounge in hopes that someone will take it off my hands. Sometimes things happen that are out of your control, but you have to just roll with the punches and pick yourself back up and keep going. Days like today, when my friends are afraid to eat in front of me, that I might tell them about the nutritional (or lack of) content in what they are eating and I am asked about high calorie foods my answer is always the same, "I budget for it". Just like the accommodation I had to make tonight, given, it was a small adjustment, but it would be the same in any situation.

I enjoyed the sermon but felt it didn't speak to me tonight. I actually brought a bible and spent most of the time trying to find the passage being read (thank you Angela, for trying to help me). Even with the distraction, I still feel like I walked away tonight with a good lesson. I talked with a friend, a mentor and teacher, and I realized that even she is fighting an internal battle, unfortunately no one is immune to this little voice. Some people seem to have it "all together" but still we all have our doubts as to whether we are doing the right thing. Some days the biggest struggle is acceptance. Forgive and forget and move on. This applies to relationships with other people, but most importantly, I think we have to forgive ourselves and move on. I made a mistake, I owned up to it, now I want to move on and make a plan to do better at the next opportunity...

I am thankful that I have so many wonderful people in my life, who help to support me, no matter what. Three people approached me about weight loss today, one of them was the checker at the grocery store. I try to make every opportunity a teaching moment because I learn best when I talk with someone else. I have learned so much, just from answering questions from my friends. Today I am thankful for acceptance, and most of all I appreciate my wonderful family.





This is today's little victory... A note from my 6-year-old daughter. I will translate. "For mommy, a picture of you running".... "Grandbob".... "you"






Here is a picture of me and my dad "Grandbob" after our first 5k race together July, 2010.








What is your little victory today?

Guitarplayingmommy,
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment