Monday, March 21, 2011

Fettucini Alfredo


Here is the recipe I originally started with but I have made some modifications. 



Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups nonfat evaporated milk
  • 10 cloves garlic
  • 1 pound dry fettuccine pasta
  • 1/2 cup nonfat milk
  • 2 tablespoons lowfat cream cheese (I use laughing cow)
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese




Directions

Combine 1 1/2 cup evaporated milk and garlic cloves in a pan, 

heat and simmer until garlic is soft (about 15-20 minutes). Milk will reduce a little.

In a blender, puree milk and garlic mixture with cream cheese until smooth.
Return mixture to pan 

and add 1/2 cup nonfat milk. (I did it backwards, lol)

Heat to simmer. Sauce will thicken slightly. 

Add 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.

Here's the finished sauce, Pretty huh?


Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. 
Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente;
 
drain. 

Here's where I get crazy....
I want high fiber pasta, so I divide up this pasta for the kids and husband (they don't like my whole wheat pasta, yet) and I start cooking my pasta in the other pot you saw on the stove. 
For a little extra I make some mixed veggies, broccoli, carrots and cauliflower.

 I pick out all of the cauliflower and put it in my bowl, 
and I put a few pieces of carrots and broccoli in each of the kids' bowls. 

No matter how many times I have tried my kids won't eat the sauce so I divide it up between myself and my husband. 
I also have boiled some shrimp for them to share. 

Here's my supper:

Here's everyone else's supper:

The sauce is 724 calories for the whole recipe, normally I don't eat half the recipe, but I had actually planned ahead to eat that much today. The calorie count would depend on the ingredients you choose to use, but I just really wanted to share how I customize meals so my family is happy but it satisfies my (fiber/protein/calorie) needs too. 


What is your little victory today? 


Guitarplayingmommy, 


Heather

2 comments:

  1. That looks AMAZING! I'm going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather...I'm a new follower. :) I just started yesterday, counting fiber grams. I have the book The Full Plate Diet. So far so good...19 grams for breakfast which was at 8am and its 1pm and I don't feel hungry yet. :) I hope to catch up on your blog, and keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete