Wednesday, March 23, 2011

tacos

Okay so my husband thinks I'm crazy taking pictures of everything I'm cooking this week so I may not post anymore "recipes" after this one. Let me know what you think please! so he believes me that people really are reading.

Tacos are really easy, I like to use ground turkey because it is so lean you don't even have to drain the meat after you brown it. I also use lots of onion because it tastes good and makes the meat go a little further. So, to start out, I chop some onion and thaw the ground turkey.
I mentioned before that I keep my meat in vacuum sealed bags, it stores in the freezer more neatly
and thaws out a lot more evenly and much quicker than the original packaging.
Then I toss the onion and meat in the pan to start browning.
Since that takes a while I spend sometime chopping lettuce (and an apple for my lunch tomorrow)
And set all the taco shells in a pan to crisp in the oven
I mix up the seasoning with water, to be poured into the meat/onion once it is browned
I like this seasoning mix because there is no MSG.

After the tacos have crisped in the oven for 5 minutes (per directions on the back of the box)
I chop up some velveeta to line the bottom of the shells for the family and I divide up a wedge of laughing cow (light queso and fresco) into quarters to put in my tacos. (Yes, I'm going to eat 4 tacos)
By this time the ground turkey/onion is usually browned and I can pour the seasoning into the mixture to soak in.

I divide the pan into quarters 

and spoon one quarter of the mixture into my taco shells (since I'm the only one who cares about the calorie count, I find it easiest to just divide the recipe by four to figure it up.)
Put the shells back in the oven until the cheese is melted and then serve it up with lettuce, shredded cheese and salsa.

Here's my plate:

This recipe has evolved as my calorie needs have changed. It's probably pretty obvious now that I eat high fiber, low calorie for breakfast and lunch with a larger dinner. I don't like to go to bed hungry so when I wake up each morning I enter my dinner into my food log before I start breakfast. For me this will ensure that I have calories left at the end of the day for a good meal that will fill me up so I don't wake up hungry. This is one of the reasons why I plan my (dinner) meals two weeks at a time. I pretty much have the same thing for breakfast everyday, although lately I've added a bowl of fruit to my breakfast too. 




So, if you want me to continue posting meals, please speak up so I know I'm not talking to myself.


What is your little victory today?

 Guitarplayingmommy,

Heather

4 comments:

  1. Girl!! Love your blog posts! I swear you could sell these recipes and you take pics and make it look fantabulous from picture 1 to the end...Your AWESOME!!! I hope you continue to keep posting your meals, never get tired of finding more foods I can eat that is lower cal and I know the obsession with it I have photos of my food too, just have not ever posted any...plus mine doesn't look as gourmet as yours--you have talent girl!! =) Now I have a craving for Turkey Tacos YUMMY! My family has switched to ground turkey for everything vs red meat now and my kids don't even notice-actually they eat the turkey burgers better LOL one day I might tell them,,,,when they are grown hehe!!! Healthy eating never tasted so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing recipes AND pictures posted! I say keep it up! For what it's worth, my hubby thinks I am crazy for taking pictures of my meals so I can keep track of what I'm eating.

    The tacos look yummy! Ours are similar.. only I add a can of black beans and some chopped mushrooms with the onion, to stretch the meat (usually xtra lean beef, as hubby isn't crazy about turkey or chicken) even further..gotta make sure to have leftovers for taco salad! ;) The mushrooms totally disappear in the the mix. My family doesn't even notice them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep posting! I made the alfredo last night. It was so good!

    ReplyDelete