Tuesday, March 15, 2011

little old lady

When my youngest daughter was born I stopped working to be a stay at home mom. I have loved this job the most out of everything I have ever done but I started feeling nutty after several months at home alone with two children. My grandmother convinced me to join her quilting group at the methodist church downtown and I went with her every Tuesday for several years until I started back to school again. Every break that we get from school I have gone to quilt with her and the group, today was one of those days. As I walked toward the quilting room I saw several of the ladies in the room next door were "stacking" a new quilt, basically that means laying down the backing, then the batting (the fluffy stuff between the layers) and smoothing out the quilt top then basting it all together so we could start quilting it. They had all the layers sandwiched on a tall countertop and they were beginning the process of basting (taking big stitches just to hold it together) but they couldn't reach the far end. I thought they were kidding when they told me to hop up on the table and baste down the other end, but sure enough they were serious. I am the youngest of the group by about 40 years. As I was sitting on the countertop working away, one of the quilters (her name is Helen) came in the room said "hi" and talked a little bit with everyone in the room (except me) then walked to the quilting room. We finished putting that quilt together, cleaned up the mess we had made and walked to quilting room.

Isn't it beautiful?

Several of the other quilting ladies were already in the room and as I walked in I was warmly welcomed, "Oh good Heather is here". Helen turned around and said, "Heather?!?!? This isn't the Heather I know!" Helen had been out of the state the whole last summer when I was able to quilt so I had not seen her in over a year, she didn't recognize me. The whole rest of the day she commented on how wonderful I looked, she couldn't believe I was the same person, yet so changed. She said she had been wondering why no one introduced her to me in the other room. It really made my day!

This is the quilt I worked on and my beautiful grandmother, she will be 90 years old first of July. 

I am a pretty crafty person, I do crocheting, tatting, embroidery and quilting. This past summer I made a quilt for my oldest daughter, a sunbonnet sue. 


Here are a few close ups of the blocks. 









What is your little victory today?

Guitarplayingmommy,

Heather

1 comment:

  1. I love the pictures in your blog. It is so much more fun than a text only blog. My mom is working on a Sunbonnet Sue for my daughter. The original pattern had boys too, but when she showed her the design, my daughter said no icky boys!

    ReplyDelete