Monday, February 14, 2011

comfort zone

I am sure some of the people who read my blog but don't really know me may be wondering about the guitarplayingmommy tag at the end of all of my posts. This is a weight loss blog, not a music blog, so what's with the name? I started playing guitar in 8th grade, I learned a few songs from a boyfriend and after our break up I took 2 years of classical guitar lessons from his instructor David Brandon. Here is a video of David with Christopher Parkening, truly amazing. I know my parents struggled to pay for my lessons for 2 years, but I soaked up some knowledge from David and learned a lot from him, I just wish I would have been more interested in the music theory he tried so hard to get me to learn. About the time I started to lose interest in classical guitar I wanted to learn to play and sing and I started playing shows around town. At one point I had a regular gig at a burrito restaurant and a few coffee houses that I would regularly play. After I got to college to complete my associate degree in Performing Arts and met my husband. We got married and I continued to play guitar at home but I haven't played any shows in years. Last May I played and sang at my brother's wedding as well as my husband's brother's wedding. I think my husband saw how much I enjoyed being in front of an audience again, even as short as it was.

So I find myself trying to crawl back into my comfortable little hole again lately. I grew comfortable with just staying at home, not playing shows, being overweight and never pushing myself to do anything. I am doing more things lately that aren't comfortable. Like running 9 miles in a race, being a tour guide for the high school seniors (this coming Friday), and now..... I want to start playing shows again. I miss it! I just haven't been ready to step out of my comfort zone, i guess. Anyways, here is a song I just recorded for Valentine's day.

I married my valentine 8 years ago this coming April. He is good to me.


What is your little victory today?







Guitarplayingmommy,
Heather 

No comments:

Post a Comment