Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Lunch

So I will continue where I left off with breakfast on that last post and tell you about my lunch today:

Chili with cheese and fruit.

Since I started making such a strong effort to find quick high-fiber lunch foods I have really found some wonderful grocery store treasures, Tasty Bite brand is one of those treasures. Today for lunch I had their Madras Lentils, tastes exactly like Wolf Brand chili, but without the heartburn. What? Heartburn isn't a normal reaction for everyone I suppose, but I am allergic to beef so it is for me. I have started leaning more in the direction of vegetarian because I don't eat beef very often anymore so I have been on the look out for more vegetarian foods. Today it is Madras Lentils. Just take the pouch out of the box and drop it in some boiling water for 5 minutes, open, pour and serve. I really like that the madras lentils has 10 grams of fiber, 12 grams of protein and only 240 calories for the whole package.


Of course, I like to have some fruit with it so I cut up a pink lady apple (my favorite, I'll say why later) I give half of it to the kids and eat the other half myself. Another 2.5 grams of fiber and only 40 calories for half an apple.


And throw in some individually wrapped prunes (50 calories for 2 and 1.5 grams of fiber) and sharp cheddar cheese (just 53 calories). 

 Since I like to plan ahead and I'm already getting a knife dirty, I go ahead and cut up another apple and divide it the same for (mine and the kids') lunches tomorrow and pack my lunch box with some minestrone soup (220 calories and 14 grams of fiber).



So here is the total for lunch: 376 calories, 13.8 grams of fiber, 18.9 grams of protein....

which brings the total for today to 624 calories, 23.2 grams fiber, 36.7 grams protein.

Also you can see that I had coffee with breakfast after I made the last post.... and a strawberry. 
Pink lady apples are tart but with a little bit of sweetness, but one of the reasons they are my favorite apple is because it can be cut and stored and not turn brown like other apples. If you have picky eater children like I do you will understand how important that can be. Anytime I have mentioned this, I usually get the suggestion to put lemon juice on other kinds of cut apples and it wont turn brown, but I am allergic to lemon too. Anyways, it goes to show that we all have something to work against as far as our weight loss issues, but you learn to deal with it in a healthy manner and just move on. 


What is your little victory today?

Guitarplayingmommy,

Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment