Monday, February 28, 2011

Vegetarian-Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers

First off..... Here was lunch today. I split the apple so I will have some for school tomorrow, but total, 14.5 grams of fiber, 13.5 grams of protein and 370 calories and pretty darn tasty. 


For dinner I was trying a new recipe that was suggested by my friend and neighbor Kristen from Mama Swears blog. She has gone completely vegan for the last several weeks and I am super impressed. She recommended this recipe from Vegetarian Times for quinoa stuffed bell peppers. I have to admit that I didn't make mine as awesomely as she did, because she is also cutting out all pre-packaged food as well, but I used canned tomatoes and beans. 


  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
  • 2 Tbs. olive oil
  • 2 ribs celery, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
  • 1 Tbs. ground cumin
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
  • 1 10-oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
  • 2 15-oz. cans diced tomatoes, drained, liquid reserved
  • 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 3/4 cup quinoa
  • 3 large carrots, grated (1 1/2 cups)
  • 1 1/2 cups grated reduced-fat pepper Jack cheese, divided
  • 4 large red bell peppers, halved lengthwise, ribs removed


1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and celery, and cook 5 minutes, or until soft.  

Add cumin and garlic, and sauté 1 minute. 




Stir in spinach and drained tomatoes. Cook 5 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated.


2. Stir in black beans, quinoa, carrots, and 2 cups water. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes, or until quinoa is tender. 






Stir in 1 cup cheese. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.



3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Pour liquid from tomatoes in bottom of baking dish.
4. Fill each bell pepper half with heaping 3/4-cup quinoa mixture, and place in baking dish. Cover with foil, and bake 1 hour. Uncover, and sprinkle each pepper with 1 Tbs. remaining cheese. Bake 15 minutes more, or until tops of stuffed peppers are browned. Let stand 5 minutes. Transfer stuffed peppers to serving plates, and drizzle each with pan juices before serving. 



I should have halved the recipe because I ended up with twice the amount of stuffing as I did peppers. Two peppers stuffed was 266 calories, 8.2 grams of fiber and 12.9 grams of protein. 

I was amazed that my husband actually ate it, and said it was good. My six-year-old daughter ate it and asked for seconds, but the four-year-old opted to just go to bed. 



Anyone else have any good vegetarian meals? 


What is your little victory today?

 Guitarplayingmommy,

Heather

1 comment:

  1. You're giving me too much credit. We used canned stuff for these. We try to use dried beans instead of canned, but we had a can of black beans to get rid of. I'm glad you enjoyed them--the filling is versatile.

    ReplyDelete